Ask Powerball

Dear Powerball:
Matthew 23:8-10 tells us not to call anyone “Father” or “Teacher,” or “Master.” That confuses me because when we talk to a priest, we call him “Father,” and even the word “pope,” translated literally means “father.” I attend a Baptist school and didn’t dare ask any of my teachers for an answer, because they would tell me that I’m Catholic and wrong. Please give me an answer. I feel uneasy calling a priest, “Father.”

Thanks for your question. “The word ‘dad’ means ‘father.’” So what do you call your dad? Jesus was called teacher yet no one seems to have an issue calling anyone a teacher.

St. Paul himself was obviously aware of this, unless we want to think he was blatantly disobeying Jesus’ command, when he wrote, “in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel” (1 Corinthians 4:15). The words of Scripture must be read in their context and according to the intentions of the writers. We need to look not just at Matthew 23:8-10, but 23:1-12. Is Jesus concerned here about the words we use? Or is He engaged in giving a lesson in humility?

The essence of His message here is, “Don’t go around looking for recognition and empty praise.” What an easy gospel it would be if all we had to learn from this passage was to avoid a few words. Instead, our Lord is teaching us that “the greatest among you will be your servant” (Matthew 23:11).

No comments: