Breaking News: Metcalfe Severs Ties with Commonwealth Caucus Over Pay Raise

Representative Daryl Metcalfe (R-Butler) issued the following letter today to Representative Sam Rohrer (R-Berks) announcing his decision to resign from the Commonwealth Caucus:


The Commonwealth Caucus was originally formed as a group of legislators who agreed to support or oppose legislation based on conservative principles. As one of the original members of the Commonwealth Caucus, I have become increasingly concerned over the last few years that the direction of the caucus has drifted from the original chartered course.

For instance, I have expressed to you my serious reservations regarding your push to increase the tax burden on Pennsylvanians through the multi-billion dollar surplus you have advocated for in your "Plan for Pennsylvania's Future." I have shared with you my concerns regarding the invisible and silent voting process that is used by the Commonwealth Caucus to determine policy direction.

One example of particular concern for me involves the recent pay raise vote. Even if it was possible for a legislator to justify voting for his or her own pay raise at a time when Pennsylvanians had to pay increasing taxes, the bill was clearly unconstitutional because of the provision for "unvouchered expenses."

Your vote for the clearly unconstitutional pay raise legislation, as chairman of a caucus portraying itself as the standard bearer for constitutional government and conservative values, causes me to officially notify you of my resignation from the Commonwealth Caucus. I will not continue to allow, by association, my conservative identification to be used to give any further credibility to an organization that is being led off of the path of constitutional government.

In closing, I will continue to honor my oath of office and I remain committed to working with each and every member of the legislature to protect the liberties of Pennsylvanians.

Serving the 12th District,
Daryl D. Metcalfe
State Representative

No comments: