Cruising on Corn

I drove down to Florida and back. I paid anywhere from $3.77 a gallon to $4.09 a gallon along the way. This week for the first time I put E85 in the gas tank. That's an 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline blend. I came across it at a Sheetz in Robinson Twp. It was $3.44 a gallon.

If you want me to go green it better leave some green in my pocket.

You have to have a car that will take E85. Check inside your gas cap door to see if there is a E85 sticker. Don't put E85 in to save a few bucks if you don't have a car that can take it. A new engine will cost you much more!

So far our E85 car is running just fine on it. I detect no difference. The problem is there are only 4 gas stations in my area that offer E85. They are listed below for those that have those corn cars:

Lititz
WoGo Station
736 Rothsville Road
Monroeville

Sheetz Station now offering E85
William Penn highway
Robinson

Sheetz
Campbells Run Road
Pittsburgh

Sheetz Pleasant Hills
1000 Clairton Blvd

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to read this .... you're helping the environment, but you're not saving any money.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/08/31/020480.html

Shaun Pierce said...

I know the arguments, however when regular gas is $3.99 and E85 is $3.44 I'm saving money in the cost of the fuel. I don't understand how it can cost more to make, be less available and yest still be less then normal gas at the pump. Unless it the government subsidies that make up the differnce.

As for miles per gallon, I'm tracking that now. So far I don't see major difference.

This is all one big try and see test. I don't claim to have the answers. Thanks for the artilce link!