Radio Waves

Shaun Pierce "On The Beach"
The term "On the Beach" in radio means a person is out of a job. That's me right now. It's terrible having to write yourself in to the unemployment report!

In some ways it's refeshing. I've gotten a few things done around the house that I have been putting off. Yet still that cloud of unemployment looms.

I do thank all of you for your prayers and comments. Many have wanted to know what happened. All I can tell you is it came as a shock to me.

I was told they had hired Gary Dickson (Fromer 3WS moring man and KDKA Overnight host) as Operations Director/Show Producer/Promotions Director.


Gary announced it on his website this way:

"Dear Friends,
I have some positive news to report. I have been offered and accepted a
position at WORD-FM (101.5) and WPIT (730) here in Pittsburgh. It all came
rather out of the blue, as I have not applied for any radio jobs since leaving
KDKA earlier this year. Kenny Woods, WORD/WPIT’s Operations Manager has decided to step down from his managerial responsibilities (his decision) to concentrate on his air-shift, production and other duties. Kenny was gracious enough to mention my name as a possible replacement as Operations Manager. After spending some time this week with WORD/WPIT’s General Manager, Chuck Gratner, I was offered the position. As Operations Manager, I will be responsible for all programming on the two stations, which are both Christian formatted Talk/Teach
stations. I start work on Monday, July 21st.


Unless you’ve read my “About Gary Dickson” page, you would not know that I spent ten years in radio management a number of years ago, before concentrating exclusively on my on-air work. This job feels just perfect for me at this point in my life. Although I enjoyed my conversations with my After Midnight callers, you might (or might not) be surprised to hear that I have not been really interested in getting back on the air to host a radio program. Those feelings are tied to factors not associated with being on the air. As Operations Manager, I will not be doing an air-shift. Although it is possible I may, from time-to-time, do some fill-in on-air work on
WORD-FM for some of my staff when the need arises."

I wish Gary the best in his new role.

As for Shaun Pierce, I'm currently looking for my next opportunity and I will keep you all informed as things develop.

Paulsen & Savaran head to 1250

After several weeks of filling in for Fred Honsberger at KDKA, Scott Paulsen is headed to Ardmore Boulevard. Paulsen will be part of a three-man team filling in the 3-7 p.m. slot emptied after Mark Madden was fired. Joining Paulsen are Eddy Crow who moves from the mid-days and former Steelers defensive back Mike Logan. The new programs should be in place, assuming contracts are finalized, Monday, August 4.


1 comment:

The Unseen One said...

Best of luck on finding continued employment, Powerball.

- Jim, The Unseen Blogger