A Change of Heart

I have been talking (via email) with a woman about my faith and the Catholic church for about 3 years now. Many times people ask me questions and I never hear from them again. Once in awhile I catch a glimpse of their journey.

I never set out to convert anyone to the Catholic faith. I don't think it's my place to do so. I answer what I'm asked and let God do the rest.

Well I got another email from this person. Last night at her Bible Study she told the group she was becoming a Catholic but would like to continue attending the study. The reception was a bit cold.

One man told her he thought her calling was not to enter the church, but to attend in order to bring people out. Here is part of what she wrote:

As graciously as possible, I said, “No... Actually I AM being called to enter the Church. I’ve done a lot of reading, studying and praying and this IS where God is taking me.” He then made some comment like, “Well, if during the study you ever felt led to stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down... (ha ha) “ I said, “No, no... when in Rome...” I could sense his “horror” at the idea that I was becoming a Catholic. He announced, “Well, we will need to be praying for YOU then!” I responded, “Thanks! I appreciate your prayers and I ask that you do not pray that I will leave Catholicism but that I will follow God’s will because that is what we should ALL be doing... following God’s will for our lives.”

I admire her courage. After heartfelt study and prayer she has embraced the truth she once rejected. Far too many people allow one bad experience to form their opinion of the entire Church. Often this assumption is based on an individual and not the true church.

We had Paul Baloche (singer, songwriter) on the air. He told us of how he was raised Catholic but later became "saved". It saddens me when I hear someone was “raised Catholic” and they claim to never have heard about what Christ did for them... about a personal relationship with Christ. How could they look year after year at Christ crucified and not have an understanding of what Christ did? Why does the term “personal relationship” used in Protestant circles with Catholics make them think they didn’t already have a personal relationship just because that term hasn’t been used?

Your relationship with Christ does not depend on ANY denomination. It is not handed to you when you walk in the door. It is up to YOU to have a personal relationship with Christ and have a full understanding of who Christ is and what He did for us. Far too many people set themselves up to be bitter former Catholics who simply missed all the beauty and truth within Catholicism as if they slept while Christ was in the room.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was so true and beautifully written.

Anonymous said...

I agree that your relationship with God doesn't have anything to do with what religious demonination that you belong to.

I had a co-worker tell me that a friend of hers was getting married, she was happy for him except for the fact that he was marrying a "Catholic." She knew that I was Catholic yet she didn't hide the fact that she was disappointed in her friends choice because of the woman was a Catholic.

Shaun Pierce said...

The woman was a Christian who has been led by the Holy Spirit to apply her faith in like through the Catholic Church.

Your friend displayed ignorance and religious bigotry in her hasty judgement. The sad part is there are many churches that teach and preach that same message.

~Mark said...

The problem is a great many people are "raised Catholic" and think that because their family is Catholic, they're getting into Heaven no matter what, and that just isn't good.

Anonymous said...

I'm a Catholic, and I was raised in the Catholic faith and I never thought that I was getting into heaven just because of that, its like someone saying that since they were raised in the xyz church and that they're saved means that they're getting into heaven too.

Anonymous said...

You have to have a personal relationship with Jesus, I don't care what demonination you are, its just a sad thing that in this day and age there is still bigotry and hostility among Christians.