Christians Put an Ugly Mask on Halloween

Well the flood of "You're not really a Christian if you celebrate Halloween" email is pouring in.

Here is just a sample:
"I was a New Ager in my youth, now I know that some faith are not evil per say, not all faith are to be trusted. I would not call Catholics, Muslims, or even Budhists evil but they are definitely errant."

Many of us have forgotten about the role Saints play in our spirtual lives. That can lead us to be errant. Take away the saints and our beliefs about the dignity and destiny of human beings, and the only thing left is pre-Christian superstition regarding the dead. In other words Halloween is evil if we want it to be.

But doesn’t Halloween glorify evil? NO, not unless you let it. Hallow is the same word for "holy" that we find in the Lord’s Prayer, and e’en is a contraction of "evening." As such, Halloween can be considered a Christian holiday. Like many Christian holidays, the secular world has attached its own traditions to the day (e.g., costumes, trick-or-treating, parties) that are not inherently bad in and of themselves but can be problematic when the religious meaning of the holiday is set aside, forgotten, or ignored. Many Christians a guilty of doing just that. They can't accpet the truth because they bought a lie and too many false preachers continue to tell them that same lie.

Well if you want the truth here it is: Halloween is a shortened form of "All Hallows Eve," the night before All Saints Day.

Trick or treat? You choose.

12 comments:

~Mark said...

How can a holiday that celebrates and supports fear and violence be a good thing?

The Unseen One said...

I wonder how many people who rail against it went trick or treating when they were young. Do kids see a problem with it? No! They just want free candy!

I know several people who cling to this attitude, yet who I personally went trick or treating with as a kid. It reminds me of the whole "Year round school seems like a good idea now that I'm an adult" attitudes.

Let the kids have their holiday! Its harmless!

And feel free to swing by The Unseen One's house for a handful of snickers bars tomorrow night.

Shaun Pierce said...

The day is what you make it. I know people who stick a Christmas tree in the corner, rack up the bills on the credit card and spend Christmas day getting drunk on egg nog.

Should we avoid Christmas because of evil commericalisim and a spike in drunk driving deaths? God uses all things for his glory. I think we should do them same.

~Mark said...

I like the though this guy is putting into it at least.

http://www.music.crosswalk.com/news/weblogs/JWhite/?adate=10/27/2006#1441744

Anonymous said...

Halloween doesn't support fear and violence, nor does it support witchcraft, its just a day of fun for a lot of grown-ups and kids that has nothing to do with evil,

Anonymous said...

I agree with the unseen one, halloween is a day of fun for children, I loved Halloween when I was a child, and I was brought up in a strict Catholic household, we were taught that Halloween was the Eve of all Saints, what is so wicked about that! Let the kids have their fun.

~Mark said...

So now the standard of participation is whether or not the kids have fun at it?

Anonymous said...

Yes, the standard of participation is kids having fun, like Powerball said, people put up trees at Xmas, drink too much spiked egg nog, etc. what do we do about that?

~Mark said...

When our decision to participate or not participate in a thing is based on how fun it is or isn't, we're done as far as having an impact on the world by showing them something diffeent from what they've been seeing.

Scott Roche said...

If the fun is harmless (ie doesn't lead us to sin) then what's wrong with that? I htink ~mark the burden of proof that going trick or treating is a sin is on you brother.

Anonymous said...

Halloween is almost over, lets give it a break until next year.

~Mark said...

"If the fun is harmless (ie doesn't lead us to sin) then what's wrong with that?"

Nothing would be.

"I htink ~mark the burden of proof that going trick or treating is a sin is on you brother."

Sure- if I'd said that. When you go back over what Ihave said though, you'll find that I didn't. You're parsing what I did say into something that I didn't.

I've gone into it at length here:
http://thegospelshowonevoice.com/Pieces/?p=194

anonymous - A little secret I've found is that if you don't click on atopic, you never see the comments unless the blogmaster puts them on the front page! ;)