A NEW POPE!


.

The New Holy Father is Cardinal Ratzinger he has taken the Name Pope Benedict.
BENEDICT XVI

Newly elected Pope Benedict XVI asked the world to pray for him and his papacy in his first appearance on the balcony of St. Peter's Basilica following his election on Tuesday.

"I entrust myself to your prayers," the Pope, German-born Joseph Ratzinger, told a packed St. Peter's Square.

Clad in white papal vestments and a short red cape, he then delivered his first blessing to the city of Rome and the world.

CARDINAL RATZINGER: PROFILE
While many theologians strive for a Catholic Church that is more open and in touch with the world around it, Ratzinger's mission is to stamp out dissent, and curb the "wild excesses" of this more tolerant era.

He wields the tools of his office with steely efficiency. By influencing diocese budgets, bishops' transfers and even excommunications, what an opponent calls "symbolic violence", Ratzinger has clamped down on the more radical contingent of the Church.

He has even claimed the prime position of the Church of Rome over other Christian Churches. Although he has apologised for this, he has never been so contrite about excluding liberation theologians, more progressive priests or those in favour of the ordination of women.

Ratzinger has pursued doctrine that can endure, independent of cultural or social trends. He argues that only with a completely separate values system can the Church offer individual freedom. His critics call this "papal fundamentalism", but Ratzinger is unflappable in his personal theology.

7 comments:

The Unseen One said...

Is he from the Benedictine order?

Interestingly enough, the Benedictines are called the "Olivetians", and St. Malachy predicted that this pope would be "The Glory of the Olive".

Anonymous said...

Look at the name he chose!!!!!

The Unseen One said...

Does that necessarily mean that he is a Benedictine? I don't know. I'm not Catholic. I am just wondering and I can't find any information on it.

Bill C said...

Powerball,

Does the info in the profile above reflect your personal opinion of Cardinal Ratzinger or is that from the media? I'm just curious. If it is not yours, then what IS your opinion on Ratzinger/Benedict?

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Amen! I hate to quote John Lennon here but I have to say to Benedict XVI. "All I want is the truth.
Just give me some truth."

Shaun Pierce said...

Bill,
Much of the profile is information from his office and not originally written by me. I've know Ratzinger to be a staunch defender of the faith. He is toughest (Rightly so)on Catholics who divert from the teachings of the Church. My personal opinion is I think most Christians will agree with his stance on things.

I doubt you will see any of this "progessive modernization" which is code word for ignoring the Word of God.

Time will tell, but I think you will see a frim stance agianst abortion, female ordination, islam,
homosexuality. In other words, I think a very strong Pope has been choosen to lead the Chruch.

The Unseen One said...

As a non-Catholic, I have to say I am very pleased with the selection of Ratzinger as Pope. I agree with about 95% of his public stances. Excellent choice.