CHRISTIANS PUTTING A DIFFERENT SPIN ON YOGA

Years ago I was in a debate on air over yoga of all things. I take the view that yoga can be a harmless and beneficial exercise to reduce stress and promote health. I know some incorporate yoga into a religious practice. The issue them becomes a false religion not the yoga itself.

I see no reason why a Christian can not participate in yoga so long as the do not make it part of worship to a false god.

I came across this article, read it and let me know what you think.

The story notes "yoga purists say that without Hinduism this simply isn't yoga. "If you take a tree and chop off its roots, then you don't have a tree, do you?" said Subhas Tiwaris, a professor of yoga philosophy. "Yoga is mind, body, spirit. You want to make those separations," he said."

ABC News

4 comments:

Sarah said...

As a Mormon yoga practictioner, I really enjoy learning about the Hindu culture and beliefs in my yoga practice. Without some degree of spirituality, yoga seems empty to me and it is more difficult for me to concentrate on the poses, my breath and the sensations in my body. Not impossible, but practice seems more forced and I don't finish with the same feeling of satisfaction and peace that I get when I really let myself get into it.

If people are not strong in their beliefs already, yoga may pose a threat to them, but otherwise, working with chakras and chants is very enlightening and beneficial to fully experience the full benefits of yoga. There is truth everywhere. If your mind is closed, your body will close as well and yoga will not yeild its full, amazing benefits.

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I see nothing wrong with Yoga as long as one is using it as a means of relaxation and exercise.

The Unseen One said...

Indeed, Anon. It is a shame that it has such a negative connotation, like theraputic massage.