To Follow a Man

I'm blessed to meet and talk to many different people. Some with very different beliefs and practices. I try always to be respectful, yet still truthful.

For some time now, I have warned about the dangers of non-denominational churches. I know this offends some people and while that is not my intention, I must speak.

I got a call from a very nice couple who attended one of these small "Bible believing" churches. They were very actively involved and the gentleman even had a leadership role in the church. Yet over time they learned a very sad lesson. While I can't share all the details, they learned they had been following a man and not Jesus.

Their former pastor had no authority structure. He was judge and jury. His interpretations of Scripture were the only ones that could be accepted. I can tell you his interpretations were not only wrong, in many cases they were dangerous.

This couple shared with me the hurt, abuse and disappointment they suffered before they left the church, wounded and humiliated before other members. It was sad to hear their mistrust of all churches now. They thought God had led them to this wonderful place. Now they question where was God in all this. Not long ago this couple would not have even considered me a Christian because of my Catholic faith. Now they were calling me out of desperation wondering what to do.

I've had many calls like this over the years. I will share all of you what I shared with them. It's easy for someone to say "the Lord called me to do this". I have no doubt that many people believe that to be true. I meet pastors all the time. Most of them are honest, well intentioned people. Yet I have a hard time believing that God calls any person to start their own church. Still you see these churches everywhere. From sprawling campuses to tiny store front churches. I fear the old "The Lord led me" is often used as an excuse to meet personal desires and not what God wants.

Divorce rates among conservative Christians are significantly higher other faith groups, and even higher than Atheists and Agnostics! Now does anyone really believe that the Lord calls all these people to marriage and then to divorce?

We all need to take a step back and stop using God as a hall pass to get where we want to go. There is nothing independent about Christianity. In fact, it's just the opposite. We are to be united and worship together. The ongoing splintering of churches does nothing to honor God.

Not every person who reads the Bible should be a pastor. Some pastors have a very poor understanding of scripture and led others down false paths. Don't claim to be a "Bible believing" church if you do not submit yourself to any ecclesiastical authority structure. That's not biblical! No Christian church should be that way. It time for all Christians to take a look at how and where they worship.

I know there are many pastors who fail in traditional denominations. You will not not find a perfect person who pastors a perfect church. But when the faithful come together, under the authority given by Jesus to his apostles, then the failings of man can not topple what is blessed and protected by the Holy Spirit.

Please, I ask you to look for a moment at your life. Maybe your pastor is the kindest most loving person in the world. The question is, are you following a man or are you following Jesus? You are always welcome to come back home.

3 comments:

~Mark said...

I'm actually very grateful to have started out in, and still attend, a non-denominational church. I truly believe that this is the largest reason why I don't feel the same "us/them" mentality that I hear from so many Christians when it comes to this that or the other denomination.

Our senior pastor is one of the Elders of the church, and is accountable to the other Elders. Our church body reports to the larger body. It's very easy for anybody to fall under the charms of a charismatic, gifted speaker, and that can happen anywhere.

I am grateful though that our preaching pastor repeatedly points away from himself and toward Christ.

With all due respect to the coupl eyou mention, we also have a great responsibility to know and follow the truth for ourselves. No man alive can claim that we should follow him instead of Scripture, or that he is the source of our knowledge. A man who does that will have to answer to God, but so will the people who followed him if they don't make the spearation between salesman and Manager.

I can be just as blessed going to a Baptist gathering, a Lutheran gathering, some Catholic gatherings, as long as I know that Christ is being worshipped in truth.

While sounding hyperbolic, my sould truly longs for the END of denominational divide so that we can act like the family we're supposed to be.

Shaun Pierce said...

Sounds like you have at least some sort of authority structure. I'm concerned with the "one man show" churches.

More and more I keep this stories about how people fall for the charm of a preacher.

I know there are some great non-denom. churches doing great things. Yet we all must beware of false teachers in all areas.

Thomas Dodds said...

Christ - HE IS HEAD OVER ALL THINGS TO THE CHURCH.

Anything less is robbery of the glory of God!