Random Thoughts

What time is it?

If you instinctively looked at your wrist for the answer, you're old. That's the conclusion of an article I read in the L.A. Times the other day- wristwatches are done, finished, hopelessly outmoded, passe. Young adults rarely wear watches; kids don't even know what they are. The time is what you read on your cell phone screen. That's what I do, not because I'm cool, because my watch broke and I'm too lazy to get it fixed.

I've worn many watches in my lifetime. Especially in school. Everybody did. We wore Swatches- like regular watches, only plastic and colorful and prone to just stop working without warning, at which time you'd buy a new one. It had no minute or hour markings, so you couldn't tell what time it was, but it LOOKED cool in a 1980's sort of way.

Now I have no clue who's who in hip-hop or what's cool. It it wasn't for my wife I'd still be wearing my faded Jamz with my Journey 1987 World Tour T-shirt. Time to move on.

And don't even THINK of having a MySpace page if you're over 40 unless you insist on being a "Creepy Old Guy," the same as the grey-ponytailed 40-something guy in the mosh pit at every concert. Or someone whose name is bound to be included in a newspaper story that also includes the words "underage," "alleged" and "arrested."

I have come to embrace the fact that I don't need to know who Katherine McPhee is or T.I. or Ne-Yo or Gnarls Barkley or what the top videos are on MyTube.

I know some of you will now Google "Gnarls Barkley" in order to hold on to those teenage years a bit longer but be sure to come back to Powerblog! when you are done.

No comments: