Radio Waves

WAMO, nightclub sued over shooting

A Monroeville woman has sued WAMO-FM (106.7) and a nightclub from which the radio station was broadcasting when a shooting occurred. According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Davina Wilson is demanding damages from the Strip District's Touch nightclub and WAMO over the July 31, 2006 incident in which eight people were shot, two fatally. Wilson was on the second-floor balcony at the time and suffered bullet wounds to her left leg and foot, according to the newspaper. During the summer of 2006, WAMO was sponsoring Sunday night dance parties at Touch where ladies drank free from 10 p.m. until midnight, according to the P-G.

'DUQ backlash

Adrian McCoy reports that donations to WDUQ's annual fall pledge drive, which began last week, are down. Some listeners are backing the university's decision to defend its pro-life mission, but others, McCoy says, are "alarmed" that a public radio station with a news department would withhold something from its airwaves for political or religious reasons. HELLO, IT"S A CATHOLIC RADIO STATION!

The Catholic church condemns both birth control and abortion as immoral; Duquesne University, which holds WDUQ's license, is a Catholic institution. WDUQ General Manager Scott Hanley says the pledge drive is "much lower in response than normal" and tells McCoy he's concerned that the controversy is distracting people from the fact that the station relies on contributions to meet its annual budget.

If you have a few bucks, send them to DUQ. Let's support them taking this stand. Give here

4 comments:

Anthony said...

I'm impressed by this project - aside from having a warm spot in my heart for Pittsburgh.

You stay on message, but still do a good job of diversifying your content. That's something a lot of people do not do well.

I can't say I agree with you on everything. Which works out well because that would mean one of us is not necessary.

:o)

Wanted to let you know I've included you in the new installment of Surfer's Paradise.

I hope the link serves you well.

Shaun Pierce said...

Thanks for the kind words and for the link.

My goal is not to have everyone agree. My goal is to make people think. Know what they belive and why they believe it.

If I can my you laugh, cry or even a bit angry along the way then I've done my job.

Thanks again and I hope you will stop by often.

The Unseen One said...

I remember listening to DUQ during a pledge drive, and hearing someone say "If you don't pledge, then you have no business listening to WDUQ!"

So I turned it off and haven't listened since! ;)

Anonymous said...

Sorry. I don't think it's a Catholic station.
I think that it's a Public station. To serve the public.

I also feel that they do have the right to refuse underwriting and sponsorship if they want to, though. I just don't think that decision should be made by the University.