Blogs From The Front Line

I've always held a special place in my heart for those who have served in our armed forces. My father served two tours in vietnam. Just last week I met a Marine who returned home from Iraq. Most of us can never begin to imagine what these brave men and women have gone through to protect our freedom.

Under the PowerLinks section I have addded a few blogs from soldiers. Some have returned home, some are on the front line. I wish I could personally thank each one of them. If you know of any others please let me know so I can add them as well. We need to keep all of them in our thoughts and prayers.

I want to share a story of one soldier. His blog is not listed.

Spc. Francisco G. Martinez, a blogger in his free time, was shot by a sniper March 20.

On Aug. 4, just before heading to Iraq, Martinez posted, "My intentions are to come home safe and sound, but my (enemy's) is to prevent that from happening. So tonight, before you sleep, or while you sit to eat, think of me, and my brothers who are going to sacrifice our lives, so that you may enjoy your every day turmoils and frustrations."

He only had time to write three blog entries after getting to Kuwait and Iraq. His last, included these lines: "I am alive. I am still kicking. ... (I'm) counting down my days till I get the hell out."

The soldier's last e-mail to his dad, two days before his death, told of "truly one of the most trying times of my life." He had helped recover the remains of four soldiers killed by an enemy bomb.

Getting e-mails from his son was wonderful, Francisco T. Martinez says, but his son's blog was special, as well. "You grow used to going to the blog to look at what his thoughts are. Now you almost wish he could be blogging from heaven. ... That there could be more. ... But there won't."

No comments: