Coming Home : A Rector Resigns

May 19th, 2005

Below is a letter sent to St. Mark’s Church, a parish of approximately 200 members in the Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh.

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,
Yesterday evening I submitted to the Vestry my resignation, effective July 1st. This was a very difficult decision for Christine and me. We have come to love Johnstown and the people of St. Mark’s. But we feel strongly that God is calling us to make this decision.

Twenty-five years ago, I was ordained into the priesthood of the Episcopal Church and into a vision of the catholicity of the Anglican Communion. The Episcopal Church has since become a very different kind of church. In the name of an ideology of radical inclusivity, the Episcopal Church has moved significantly away from the apostolic and catholic faith of Jesus Christ. With the decision made by General Convention two summers ago to approve the ordination of noncelibate homosexuals and the blessing of same-sex unions, it has, in my judgment, become heretical. I feel that I am a priest without authority. I cannot in conscience represent the Episcopal Church to the world, nor can I in conscience summon sinners into its fellowship. As a consequence I cannot function effectively as your parish pastor.

As my wife and close friends can well testify, my life has been an agony for me since the 2003 General Convention. I have struggled to discern God’s will for my life and for my ministry. I have had to reassess my understanding of the Church from the ground up. I have finally concluded that I cannot in conscience remain an Episcopalian. I must be in the Church founded by Christ Jesus. It is thus my intention to enter into full communion with the Roman Catholic Church.

I hope and pray that I leave St. Mark’s stronger than when I came. Our level of stewardship has increased over 30%. We have completed an ambitious capital funds drive, receiving pledged commitments of almost $280,000. If we also include the anonymous gift of air-conditioning for the church and the Pennsylvania state grant for the bell tower, we have raised approximately $400,000. We can be very proud of this!
But even more importantly we have grown spiritually. The Alpha Course has had a powerful impact upon our spiritual and communal life. The name of Jesus has been exalted. The Spirit has moved in our hearts. Fellowship has been strengthened. My only regret is that we have not been able to grow our parish numerically.

Christine and I are very grateful for the friendships we have formed here at St. Mark’s. It has been a privilege being a part of this parish community. Please know that we pray for the Lord’s abundant blessings upon each of you and upon St Mark’s Church. We ask for your prayers as we begin this new chapter in our lives.
St. Mark’s is fortunate to dwell within an orthodox diocese with a godly bishop. I urge you to follow his counsel and leadership.

If I have hurt or offended anyone, I ask for your forgiveness.

Yours in Christ,
Alvin

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should link to Pontificator's blog.

Shaun Pierce said...

I am linked. That is where it came from!

Anonymous said...

I meant in the post. Those unaware of the context must be lost. Also, as posted, it appears as though you wrote it. When presenting material that you have not written, you should use quotation marks at minimum and blockquote tags would be helpful.