One Year To Live

A recent article in the Chicago Tribune caught my eye. They asked readers `What would you do if you knew you had only a year or two to live?' Now the question isn't new, but it's always interesting to see the responses.

Is it optimism or defiance when an octogenarian renewing a subscription chooses the three-year option? If my alarm clock were set for my last hour, should I be alarmed? I don't need those things to remind me of God's love, which is as constant as the ticking of that clock. But if I knew my time was at hand, I'd rush to see and hear and touch kids and grandkids, in-laws and out-laws, cousins, friends, the ones whose sepia faces are frozen in the time of the Great Depression and the New Deal, and those in the full-color era of the Meal Deal. Thanks, I'd say to them all, and forgive me, I'd say to them all. It has been great, I'd say to them all.
Ed Wall


People always think they'd do things so differently. The night I found out I had breast cancer, before we knew how bad it was or whether I would survive (I have been cancer-free for four years now), I went home and helped my 11-year-old daughter with her math homework. Just spending time with her, teaching her and helping her through some of life's problems was the most important thing in the world to me, and remains so to this day.
Jennifer Glick

If I knew that I had only a short time to live, I would call some formerly close friends--female and male--and tell them that I still love them and think of them.So what's keeping me from doing it now? Probably my perception of social mores and the fear of being embarrassed or rejected if I were to do so now.Nevertheless, I think that I'll make the calls anyway.
Wally Salganik

So (you knew it was coming) what would you do with a year left of life?

No comments: