"Freeing"Catholics

I've heard it all. Every conceivable objection against the Roman Catholic Church. Some are just questioning, others feel they are called to directly battle the church.

I don't mind these challenges. They serve to strengthen me in my faith and understanding. Some challenges are harsher then others, but the only thing I can control is my response to them.

I was asked to respond to a post by an anti-Catholic ministry (Apprising Ministries). Here is the beginning of that post:

In this generation Evangelical Protestants must come to a unified consensus,
once and for all, as to how to approach this subject of the Church of Rome if we
are to have any hopes of reaching those who are trapped .
Perhaps the best way to begin is to remember that to be Protestant means
that we are "protesting" the dogmas of the Church at Rome
. Specifically
we protest their claim that the Roman Pontiff, better known as the Pope, is the
head of the entire universal Church. And contrary to the opinions of most people
you will run into, that is exactly what the Roman Catholic Church herself still
claims today.

Well now, I could write a book just based on these few words. Why is "this generation of Evangelical Protestants" any different than past generations? All Christians seem to be easily distracted and spend our time taking shots at other Christians, while the rest of the world starves for the saving message of Christ. Shame on all of us.

I would publicly declare at this time that I am not trapped within any false system of religion. When I go to mass, they do not lock the doors behind me. There is no wall capped with barbed wire surrounding me. I can leave, reject, renounce the Roman Catholic Church anytime I choose to do so. However, I have prayed and asked the Holy Spirit to lead me on the path of truth. Those prayers have been answered and I remain in the Roman Catholic Church.

It is not a perfect church. It has it's failings because man is involved. It is also a church under attack. From pedofiles, homosexuals, and those who seek to weaken or destroy the church under the guise of "ministry".

For those of you who are Protestant, were you aware that to be Protestant means that you are "protesting" the dogmas of the Church at Rome? That's the mission. I find that very interesting. Most Protestants I know are not only against the Roman Catholic Church, they are also against some aspect of every other Protestant denomination other than their own. The like to protest.

How does one become Protestant? Is something passed on from generation to generation? Is it a choice after careful study? Or does the Holy Spirit lead you there? I suspect it can be any one of the three. It's the same way people end up in the Roamn Catholic Church. Some for the right reasons, some for the wrong reasons.

Catholic literaly means "universal". There are over one billion Catholics around the world. The pope is the head of the universal church for one billion Christians. He is also a fine example for all people of what a life dedicated to God should be.

Christians should never seek to "free" other Christians. Instead we should speak God's truth and live the life that God has called us to live. We should be an inviting example to all we encounter. Go where God leads you. Any false church will not stand the test of time. Where is our faith if we doubt that?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think its terrible that people who call themselves Christians are so bigoted and quarrelson, what kind of an example do we set to those who are not Christians, not a very good one if we can't even get along among ourselves, and have respect for one another.

Shaun Pierce said...

Amen to that.

Thomas Dodds said...

For those of you who are Protestant, were you aware that to be Protestant means that you are "protesting" the dogmas of the Church at Rome?

I'm not Protestant, and I'm not Catholic - I'm Christian ... YET ... EVERY Catholic I have crossed paths with has labeled me a Protestant.

I don't protest the dogmas of the RCC - I don't accept them either. I might challenge those who follow said dogmas - but it isn't protesting.

Christians should never seek to "free" other Christians.

This flies in the face of Scriptures that tell us that we can be in a 'yoke' of bondage.

Go where God leads you.

Good. Too many believe in the church of your choice ... which is false.

Any false church will not stand the test of time.

This isn't true. Time isn't the test for truth. The Liar has been around since before time.

Where is our faith if we doubt that?

Your faith then must be in the church. Only true faith has it's roots in the Branch, and the Branch only.

...Or does the Holy Spirit lead you there? I suspect it can be any one of the three.

The Spirit does not and can not lead two individuals in different directions for worship. Matthew 18:20 clearly shows a Divine Center for worship, with a Divine Promise and a Divine Gatherer. Those who ARE gathered to His Name find Him in the midst of them. If yuo an I are not in full fellowship together, then we both can not claim the Spirit has lead us in different directions - He's not the author of confusion. Eitehr or both of us have done our own thing to some extent.

Most Protestants I know are not only against the Roman Catholic Church, they are also against some aspect of every other Protestant denomination other than their own. The like to protest.

Would you continue to go where you do if you believed it not to be the 'fullest' expression of the truth. Again this isn't a protesting.

In short, the reformation happened many years ago ... some still haven't moved on.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes brothers and sisters yearn for the freedom of their siblings. There are many dear believers in both traditions. Ultimately, it is the truth that will set anyone free. Ultimately, there is only one truth. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. It is OK for anyone to want his/her family to be free, right? Chill, bro.

~Mark said...

I'm still hoping someone will tell me by what final standard the church decides what the church should look like and how it recognizes the Holy Spirit.

I'd asked in an earlier post but hadn't gotten a response.

Anonymous said...

This comment is in response to the person who said Catholics always called him a Protestant, well, I'm Catholic and every Non-Catholic that I've met never recognizes me as a Christian.

Anonymous said...

Why don't people respond to some of the other comments posted here, they are interesting too.

It seems like everyone wants to get into a verbal battle over religious beliefs.

Shaun Pierce said...

This post was not meant to start a bitter debate. Mark asks a good question. What is the church to look like?

The true church must have an evangelical mission that reaches the entire globe with the gospel.

While there is organization in the church, the Bible never calls it a denomination.
Organizational structure is never given in scripture as a means of identifying the true church.

When the Lord adds believers to His body, they are to function together something like the various parts of a human body functioning together (see I Corinthians 12). Believers are not expected to live in isolation from other believers.

So to answer the question, a true church is any church that has the one true Savior! Remember, it is not the church of Christ that saves. It is the Christ of the church!