STATEMENT MOST REVEREND DONALD W. WUERL

The decision of our Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, to transfer me to the Archdiocese of Washington, DC, is one I embrace in the context of faith in God’s providential care. Although I am greatly aware of my own limitations, I find strength in the Pope’s trust in me and also in the prayerful support I have always found from the Catholic faithful I have attempted to serve here in the Diocese of Pittsburgh.


For more than 18 years I have tried to serve Christ in his Church with all of my heart and ability. The Church of Pittsburgh will always hold a unique place in my affection. It was here that I first heard the Gospel, was nurtured in the sacraments, was supported in my response to the call to priesthood and where I first experienced pastoral ministry as a newly ordained priest.
I am deeply grateful to you the clergy, religious and lay faithful who have always shared a common commitment to the Lord and recognized the embrace of God’s grace working among all of us. Thank you.


In all of the efforts to build up this Church and manifest God’s Kingdom in our midst we together have addressed the spiritual and faith renewal of this six county-wide diocese. In solidarity we have undertaken the revitalization and reorganization process, we have worked diligently in unity to pass on the faith in our religious education programs and schools, we have entered into an Envisioning Ministry process to ensure that fewer priests will not mean less ministry and we have attempted to care for our sisters and brothers, neighbors and friends in need. All of this responding to what Pope Benedict XVI calls the essential mission of the Church: to proclaim the Gospel, to celebrate the sacraments, and to care for those in need. And we have done it together, as God’s family.

As I begin to conclude my ministry in the Diocese of Pittsburgh, I am sincerely grateful to God for the opportunity to have served in this portion of his vineyard and to have worked together with so many of the clergy, religious and lay faithful in manifesting the Kingdom here in our corner of the world. Thank you for the great blessing all of you have been to me!

As I accept this new responsibility and carry with me the memories and experiences of this diocese, I hope I can always bring with me as well your prayerful support and faith-filled good wishes.


May God bless you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful letter. Ut will be sad to see him go, he is such a fine person and has been an asset to the Diocese of Pittsburgh.

When will Bishop Wuerl be leaving Pittsburgh?