Santourm on Immigration

By Rick Santorum

As the son of an Italian immigrant who came to the United States in 1930, I understand the important and valuable contributions immigrants have made and continue to make to our country. I have great respect for those who have legally come to our nation seeking a better life for their families, just as my grandfather and father did.

However, as the Senate continues the important debate on an immigration bill, I firmly believe that the rule of law and our safety and security must be given paramount importance when considering how to deal with the continuous flood of illegal immigrants entering our country each and every day.


My plan is built around four sensible principles:

SECURE THE BORDER - I cosponsored and voted for a successful amendment that authorizes the Department of Homeland Security to construct 370 miles of triple-layer fence and 500 miles of vehicle barriers at strategic locations along our southern border.

NO AMNESTY - I cosponsored -- and voted for -- an amendment that would remove provisions from the Senate bill that grants legalization, a green card, and a chance for naturalization to most unauthorized aliens currently residing in the United States. Furthermore, I will not vote for a final bill that provides amnesty.

NO REWARDS FOR ILLEGAL BEHAVIOR - Whether it's tightening visa requirements or preventing illegal immigrants from accruing Social Security benefits when they present fraudulent information, I believe we should not reward people for their illegal behavior.

KEEP THE COUNTRY SAFE FROM CRIMINALS AND OTHER DANGEROUS PERSONS - I voted for a successful amendment that clarifies who is ineligible for a green card -- including anyone convicted of a felony or three misdemeanors, subject of a final removal order, or constitutes a danger to the United States (as determined by the Department of Homeland Security).

No comments: