WUERL APPOINTED ARCHBISHOP OF WASHINGTON

Pope Benedict XVI has appointed Bishop Donald W. Wuerl to succeed Cardinal Theodore E. McCarrick as archbishop of Washington.

Archbishop Pietro Sambi, apostolic nuncio to the United States, made the announcement on Tuesday, May 16, 2006.

Pope Benedict accepted the retirement of Cardinal McCarrick who had served in Washington since his appointment on November 21, 2000.

Archbishop-designate Wuerl will continue to serve as bishop of the Diocese of Pittsburgh until his installation as archbishop of Washington on June 22, 2006.

“The decision of our Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, to transfer me to the Archdiocese of Washington,” Archbishop-designate Wuerl said, “is one I embrace in the context of faith in God’s providential care. Although I am greatly aware of my own limitations, I find strength in the Pope’s trust in me and also in the prayerful support I have always found from the Catholic faithful I have attempted to serve here in the Diocese of Pittsburgh.”

Cardinal McCarrick described Archbishop-designate Wuerl as “a wonderful friend to me over so many years and I have watched with delight and deep respect – and sometimes with more than a little envy – the great things that the Church of Pittsburgh has accomplished under his leadership. I truly cannot think of a better choice for Washington than Bishop Wuerl.”

Archbishop-designate Wuerl has been bishop of the Diocese of Pittsburgh for 18 years and will celebrate the 40th anniversary of his ordination as a priest later this year.

No comments: