A Soldier in a Small World

It always amazes me how God works. I've been talking via email to Todd Larkin. Todd is a member of Task Force Phoenix currently stationed in Afghanistan with the Oklahoma Army National Guard. He is just a few weeks away from returning home to Ardmore, OK.
It seems that all we hear about in the media is what's happening in Iraq. Often we forget about the troops serving in Afghanistan. So I invited Todd to come on the radio. It turns out there is a Chaplin there with Todd from PA that told Todd all about WORD FM. So a guy from Oklahoma is on the other side of the world and knows about the radio station. That's some serious coverage!

We are working to get Todd on the show. Hopefully he can join us from Afghanistan soon. I ask you to please keep him and all our troops in your prayers. In the meantime I'll be adding Todd's blog to my line up here.

I'd like to share something that Todd introduced me to. Todd writes:
"I’m not sure if you have ever been to a Military Funeral or Memorial. But at the end of the ceremony one the Sergeants or Officers will call out the Fallen Soldiers name along with others from his squad or platoon. It’s called the last roll call… It went like this and its one of the hardest things to listen to. First Sergeant Robert Maxwell called the names of Sgt. Hughie’s fellow soldiers as they shouted, "Here First Sergeant." 1SG then called out "Sgt. Hughie." Silence. "Sgt. Buddy Hughie." Silence. "Sgt. Buddy James Hughie." Silence. The Bugler then plays taps and I always flinch at the 21 gun salute."

This is dedicated to Sgt. Buddy Hughie who lost his life trying to save a fallen Afghan soldier.



No comments: