Another Lutheran pastor heads to Catholic Church

Carl E. Braaten, one of the nation's leading Lutheran theologians has been lamenting the exodus of Lutheran scholars and ministers from the mainline Lutheran denomination to the Roman Catholic Church.

He expressed his dismay over the direction the ELCA in strong words, including "heresy," "pious piffle," and "empty body." He warned that the denomination was on a "trajectory that leads to rank antinomianism." Braattan said his departed colleagues were "convinced that the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America has become just another liberal protestant denomination. Hence, they have decided that they can no longer be a part of that. Especially, they say, they are not willing to raise their children in a church that they believe has lost its moorings in the great tradition of evangelical (small e) and catholic (small c) orthodoxy (small o), which was at the heart of Luther's reformatory teaching and the Lutheran Confessional Writings. They are saying that the Roman Catholic Church is now more hospitable to confessional Lutheran teaching than the church in which they were baptized and confirmed.

On Oct. 9, the Rev. Tom McMichael of Hope Lutheran Church in Lynden, Wash., cited similar reasons for his resignation from the ELCA to enter into full communion with the Roman Catholic Church. "It is no secret that I, and confessional pastors like me, have become increasingly alarmed and dismayed at the direction of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America," McMichael said in a letter that is posted on Pontifications, a Web site.

"On issues as fundamental as ethics, sacramental practice, liturgical life, and ecclesial self-understanding, we as the ELCA are moving farther and farther from our biblical and confessional moorings, and from the consensus of the 'one holy catholic and apostolic church' that we confess."He added, "I am not alone among pastors when I say that sitting through synod assemblies, participating in task forces, and reading the official pronouncements of our leaders has left me with a heavy heart and convinced me that these differences are irreconcilable. Despite my life-long commitment to and thankfulness for the Lutheran expression of the church catholic, I cannot in good conscience remain a public face to this institution. I do not want to leave the impression that my motivations lay simply in dissatisfaction with trends in the ELCA. No faith community this side of the Kingdom has a monopoly on silly and sinful members."

The Layman

2 comments:

Jim Sandoval said...

I left the Lutheran church too. Grew up in it. Never really took my faith seriously when I was there, but the telling moment when I realized I would never go back was during a visit after I had recommitted myself to Christ. The pastor (not the one I grew up with) had a bunch of children up front with her and asked them why Jesus came to us. Not one mention of salvation from the children. Something as basic as Christ dying for the forgiveness of sins and not one kid from 3 to 14 said that... and neither did the pastor.

Then there were other things like the belief that the office of the Papacy being the anti-christ (not an OFFICIAL view, except for the LCMS), the constant "be nice" sermons, the lack of the Holy Spirit moving in the church... I had to leave. I have since joined a Baptist church, but I consider myself a Non-denominational Bible Believing Christian.

One day, I believe we will all have a good laugh over this in heaven.

Hey, why do you always invite two Baptists with you fishing? If you invite just one, he'll drink all your beer!

HA!

John Gillmartin said...

Link this post at The SHEEP'S CRIB ...
ELCA: MY HEART GRIEVES