Dear Powerball

Dear Powerball:
From your Catholic perspective, what is your take on the Purpose Driven life book?

I've noticed several pro-Catholic undercurrents in the book. Intentional or not, they are there. Within The Purpose Driven Life Warren quotes Roman Catholic figures such as Mother Teresa, Henri none, Brother Lawrence, John Main, St. John of the Cross and Madame Guyon. While I'm all in favor of a Catholic foundation, many of Warren's supporters would flee from anything having to do with the Catholic church.

Warren said last year in Pittsburgh, "I am looking to build bridges with the Orthodox Church, looking to build bridges with the Catholic Church, with the Anglican church, and say 'What can we do together that we have been unable to do by ourselves?'" That's great, but do his readers know that?

His use of scripture is a bit troubling. Rick Warren claims that he quotes the Bible over 1,200 times in the text of The Purpose Driven Life. To do so, he uses fifteen different translations and paraphrases. That alone at times can cause confusion. I would not be nearly so concerned about the use of multiple translations if Warren was consistently choosing translations that were close in meaning to the original manuscripts. The unavoidable fact is, though, that Warren consistently chooses translations that say what he feels needs to be said, regardless of the real meaning of a verse.

Many of the laypeople who began a study of The Purpose Driven Life through a 40 Days of Purpose program had no idea that they were part of a larger effort. It is entirely possible that by the time these people received their book, the church leadership had already begun implementing the Purpose Driven programs and had been doing so for several months. I am aware of several churches where this was done without the knowledge or consent of the congregation. The leadership simply decided to implement the program and went ahead. 40 Days of Purpose was one of the first steps in introducing an entire new paradigm for doing church. We now have "Purpose Driven Churches" and that can be a dangerous distraction.

From a strictly Catholic perspective, I find little to criticize in Pastor Warren's book. However,I still not a big fan of the book. I know millions love it, it's just not my cup of tea. Thanks for asking.

3 comments:

Thomas Dodds said...

I would not be nearly so concerned about the use of multiple translations if Warren was consistently choosing translations that were close in meaning to the original manuscripts.

Can you site some (one) of these?

I am aware of several churches where this was done without the knowledge or consent of the congregation. The leadership simply decided to implement the program and went ahead.

What is your issue with this specifically?

I'm not a Warrener ... I'm just curious as to your position on it.

Shaun Pierce said...

It would be impossible for me the explain the different translations here. It's Warren's book so he can do what he likes, I just would prefer clarify when it comes to true understanding.

As for the impact on churches, I know that collectivly millions of dollars must have been spent on books and his 40 days program. The result in many cases seem to be a self foucus and a reliance on Warren's book instead of the Bible.

I'm not condeming them book, I'm just cautioning people not to fall deep into the purpose hole.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I am a musician who has been heavily influenced by Keith Green. I would be honored if you would check out my music. All music on my site is free for download.

I don't mean to be a pest, so if this message is an annoyance, please delete it and accept my humblest of apologies. I just want to share my music with people who love Jesus.

Thanks,
-Sean
______________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free."