Eddie Long Says Senate Probe 'Unjust'

"Bishop" Eddie Long, one of several ministers targeted by a Senate investigation into possible financial wrongdoing, called the request for records unjust and intrusive.

In a brief address to his congregation at New Birth Missionary Baptist Church in Lithonia during a Sunday service, Long said Sen. Charles Grassley's request for financial information was "an attack on our religious freedom and privacy rights." It was Long's first comment on the investigation beyond a statement issued last week saying he would cooperate with the request.

Grassley has asked for documents from five other ministries around the country, including the Rev. Creflo Dollar of World Changers Church International in College Park. The other four are: Randy and Paula White of Florida, the Rev. Benny Hinn, and Kenneth and Gloria Copeland of Texas, and David and Joyce Meyer of Missouri.

Grassley, R-Iowa, the top Republican on the Senate Finance Committee, began his investigation after receiving tips about preachers spending lavishly.

Grassley said stories of excessive lifestyles and spending by ministry leaders caused him to wonder whether the tax breaks given to ministries were being abused. He has questioned other charities in previous years, including the Red Cross and the United Way.

Grassley said he is not interested in religion or doctrine, only the tax issues. But Long isn't buying it. (Although he could will all the money he has sucked in over the years)

Dollar said he has released his church's finances in response to the Senate investigation. He said his salary comes from personal investments, including businesses and real estate ventures. He said the church did give him a Rolls Royce, which he uses largely for special occasions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I caught the last few minutes of yesterday's show. A man called and wanted to make his point that radio evangelists can be as guilty as t.v. evangelists when it comes to bilking the public. He cited Adrian Rogers, Hank Hanegraaff and Dr. Dobson. First, none of the three are evangelists. Second, Dr. Dobson derives his income only from the sale of his books. I think if you open a subject ,you should not discuss topics that you are not able or willing to defend or correct. John made a weak attempt at defense by saying that the three aforementioned are not pastors. If I were a pastor and John tried to defend my motives I would certainly ask for another attorney.

Anonymous said...

I have been listening to you for the past couple of months on my ride home. I recently moved back to Pennsylvania after living in Missouri for the past almost 11 years, where I worked for Joyce Meyer Ministries. I wanted to let you know that

Joyce Meyer Ministries posts their financial reports on their web site at www.joycemeyer.org. I believe Joyce receives most of her personal income from her book sales. The rest of the money goes directly into the ministry. I also know that Joyce Meyer Ministries always helps other people financially. While I worked there, I was in need of a newer reliable car, but due to my financial situation, I could not afford one. The ministry gifted me with a used 1994 Toyota Corolla, which I am still driving. It is not a fancy car and was used when I got it, but it has been a blessing. Also my brother Bob is a paraphlegic and is in need a wheel-chair accessible van. He recently asked Joyce Meyer Ministries for help and they have agreed to help with $2000.00. Before people start casting stones, perhaps they should do some more research.

Thanks for allowing me to express my opinion. I did not get to hear what your listeners said. I live in Ford City and was not able to tune into the station in my house. I just wanted to give some positive input about Joyce.