President Ford Dies At 93

Although Gerald Ford served as president for less than 29 months, it was during the most turbulent of times.

The fall of Vietnam, two separate presidential assassination attempts, the seizure of the American merchant ship Mayaguez by the Cambodian government, and the famous Nixon pardon shaped the legacy of the 38th president.


Regarding his controversial Presidential Pardon of President Richard Nixon, Ford stated:

"I did it not for Nixon but for the country. I knew at the time it would probably cost me my re-election, but President Nixon's legal team could advance constitutional arguments that could tie up the courts for years. The prospect that a former president could face jail time would divert the country's attention ... I had to turn the page and let the healing process begin."
Read more...

No comments: