HILLARY APOLOGIZES FOR FERRARO REMARK

Saying “I certainly do repudiate it and I regret deeply that it was said. Obviously she doesn’t speak for the campaign, she doesn’t speak for any of my positions, and she has resigned from being a member of my very large finance committee.” Hillary also acknowledge she may not be the nominee, saying “I have a lot of supporters who have voted for me in very large numbers and I would expect them to support Senator Obama if he were the nominee.” (FOX News)

From another story: "David Axelrod, his campaign manager, has chose to spin this as a racist comment because every time anybody makes a comment about race who is white - he did it with Bill Clinton, he was successful; he did it with (Pennsylvania governor and Clinton supporter) Ed Rendell, he was less successful; and he is certainly not going to be successful with me," Ferraro told CBS'"The Early Show.""He should have called me up ... He knows I'm not racist." (AP)

Another story notes how race is playing a major role in the Democratic battle. From the story: Beneath Obama's easy win in Mississippi on Tuesday, exit polls show a state polarized along racial lines, with white Democrats there rejecting his candidacy 70 percent to 26 percent, while 9 of 10 blacks voted for him. It's a dramatic reflection of a recurrent pattern most pronounced in the South. (Chicago Tribune)

From the Wall Street Journal: … for all of Mr. Obama's soaring rhetoric about the nation's need for a post-racial politics that "brings the American people together," his campaign at times has seemed overly sensitive about race. It also seems to want it both ways. Mr. Obama claims that his brand of politics transcends race, but at the same time he's using race as a shield to shut down important and legitimate arguments. (WSJ)

No comments: