No More Narnia!

May I climb on my soapbox for a moment?

Every time I go to my mailbox there is another book about C.S. Lewis and the "Chronicles of Narnia” books. Must we really write books about books? Worse yet, now they are writting books about people who wrote books. Currently I am looking at 7 books on my desk about Lewis. Those are just the one's on my desk! I'm sure once the Disney movie comes out I'll have the C.S. Lewis plush doll included in my child's happy meal.

I have nothing against the book series. It's great. But that's does not mean I need one hundred other books to support the first. In case you feel otherwise, here is a partial list to keep you busy the rest of your life:

“Step into Narnia: A Journey Through The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe”By E.J. Kirk
“Beyond the Wardrobe: The Official Guide to Narnia”By E.J. Kirk
“So You Think You Know Narnia?”By Clive Gifford
“The Magical Worlds of Narnia: The Treasury of Myths and Legends”By David Colbert
“Companion to Narnia, Revised Edition: A Complete Guide to the Magical World of C.S. Lewis’s The Chronicles of Narnia”By Paul F. Ford
“Pocket Companion to Narnia: A Guide to the Magical World of C.S. Lewis”By Paul F. Ford
“C.S. Lewis: The Boy Who Chronicled Narnia”By Michael White
“Cameras in Narnia: How The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe Came to Life”By Ian Brodie
“The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: The Movie Storybook”By Kate Egan
“The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: Edmund and the White Witch”By Scout Driggs
“The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: Tea with Mr. Tumnus”By Jennifer Frantz
“The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: The Quest for Aslan”By Jasmine Jones
“The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: The Creatures of Narnia”By Scout Driggs
“The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: Activity Book with Gel Pen”By Sadie Chesterfield
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: Coloring and Activity Book and Magnets”By Julia Simon-Kerr
“The Chronicles of Blarnia”By Michael Gerber

There's more, but you get the point.

2 comments:

The Unseen One said...

Except for making and exception for the Bible, I agree... ;)

Shaun Pierce said...

Rob I think you just made my point better then I did.

How can you call it evangelism if it does not include the Bible. Must we suger coat and disgiuse the gospel and sneak it into people's minds?

We could sit here all day and name stories that parallel the Bible. Anything that has a "good vs. evil" plot would fit.

Again, I'm not saying it's not a good story. I'm not saying it could not have some deep changing impact on a person. My concern is the targeting of Christains as just another consumer group.

"Narnia" becomes "Rocky 27" if we keep buying it.