Dobson Offers Insight on 2008 Republican Hopefuls

(USNews): Focus on the Family founder James Dobson appeared to throw cold water on a possible presidential bid by former Sen. Fred Thompson while praising former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who is also weighing a presidential run, in a phone interview Tuesday.

"Everyone knows he's conservative and has come out strongly for the things that the pro-family movement stands for," Dobson said of Thompson. "[But] I don't think he's a Christian; at least that's my impression," Dobson added, saying that such an impression would make it difficult for Thompson to connect with the Republican Party's conservative Christian base and win the GOP nomination. Read more...

I appreciated Dr. Dobson’s endorsement of Pat Toomey over Arlen Specter in 2004. A strong Christian statement from any of the current Republican front-runners affirming the Lordship of Jesus Christ would be welcomed.

3 comments:

Shaun Pierce said...

I have the utmost repect for Dr. Dobson. I have talked with him many times. If he was not sure if Thompson is a Christian that's fine. However, some of the other comments that have been made concern me.

I don't think there should be any religion litmus test for a person to be president. I would rather vote for a conservative Mormon then a Clinton type Christian.

If I only voted for my "team" as a Catholic, I would have had to vote for John Kerry.

Gary Schneeberger defnded Dr. Dobson said "We use that word—Christian—to refer to people who are evangelical Christians"
EXCUSE ME???

Is it the Dobson crew that now gets to decide who is Christian and who is not?

I wonder what Dobson would call a commited follower of Jesus Christ who is not part of the evangelical crowd?

If Dr. Dobson claims to represent the Republican Party's conservative Christian base, then he best not forget that there are large numbers of people: Lutherns, Reformed, Presyterian, Catholic and others that are not part of the evangelical camp. Yet they care deeply about the family and the moral condition of this nation.

As a Christian who is quite frankly often embarassed by the evangelical presentation of faith I take offense at this exclusive and narrow definition of Christianity.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on your comments Powerball.

The Unseen One said...

As a Christian who is quite frankly often embarassed by the evangelical presentation of faith I take offense at this exclusive and narrow definition of Christianity.

As an evangelical, I completely agree. Thompson is a member of the Church of Christ (or cOC). They are an extremely conservative group with some wacko fringe groups. I used to be a member of a "stealth" cOC group, and left because of doctrinal reasons. I have been actively shunned by the church members and my former friends.

That being said, I don't think Thompson's denominational membership matters a hill of beans. Dobson was out of line, he should apologize and clairify his statement, invite Thompson on his show and have an honest discussion with him. The Republicans are out of power now. It is not the time to continue fracturing. We must come together for the sake of our country, our children, and the world... otherwise we might wake up on 1/21/09 and once again be forced to say "President Clinton."