Thoughts

I've had allot of things on my mind lately so I'm going to post some of them here. I have no idea how far this will go or where it will take us. Heck, this may be the one and only post but we shall see.

I'm not going to edit myself. I'm just going to say what comes to mind so I reserve the right to say something stupid. You can take it as you wish.

For the past several years I have had a crash course in American Christianity. I call it that because the beliefs and what's important varies from person to person and place to place. I have seen efforts to attract attention though grand productions, technology and gimmicks. We are so drawn to appearance and how we feel that everything targets those two aspects. From cans of soda to the church down the street, everything claims to make you look and feel and be better.

We have become so numb to what's real that we no longer are sure the definition of marriage. We ban smoking, but allow a woman to kill her own child. We condone immorality and label it tolerance. The world is starving for genuine truth and we don't find much in American Christianity.

If there is a human desire for truth, then we should have people beating on the doors of churches across America. That's not happening. We wring our hands and lament this fallen world of darkness and we wait for the day when Jesus returns. I have news for you .....

You did not break down and get stranded here on your way to heaven. God put you here for a reason. If we live in such a terrible world guess who is to blame. WE ARE!

People today see Christians as part of the problem, not the solution. It's just another sales pitch to join the cause. They don't trust us and I don't blame them. Some of the nastiest people I ever met claimed to be Christian.

There is a profound challenge for all of us to change that perception. We need to live what we claim to believe. Not every person who says they are Christian really is. Not every church with a cross out in front and a Bible inside is a Christian church. You see it's not what you know or what you claim, it's how you live you life. We need to stop preaching if we refuse to live what we proclaim. Don't just tell me, show me. Lord knows I'm not perfect and I am as guilty as the rest of them. So I wonder, why take a mission trip around the world when you can look in the mirror and see work to be done? The answer, for appearance. It looks good and makes you feel good.

I'm not trying to beat anyone up here but we need to get back to the basics. Don't dust the furniture if the room is on fire. That's all for now.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen to your comments, especially the part that says some of the nastiest people are christians,