Radio Waves

The latest attempt at talk radio in Pittsburgh will target men ages 25-49. Great, I'm the demo then. Somehow I doubt CBS Radio VP Keith Clark has a clue as to what people like me would want to listen to. Locker room chat and fart jokes won't cut it. I hope they do something good here but I will wait and see.

WRKZ which is will becpme WTZN launches as "The Zone," and will bill itself as "Pittsburgh's man station".

Jim Meltzer, VP and GM of CBS's Pittsburgh FM stations, says "93.7 The Zone will be neither conservative nor liberal. Its mantra is entertainment specifically designed for the men of Pittsburgh. We welcome this opportunity to create something unique in the market that isn't being heard anywhere else."

I wish them the best.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I give this one about a year or so . . . . I think the writing has been on the wall for this station ever since Howard, the reason for the format change in the first place, announced his move to Sirrius.

At least they are annoucing the format change, unlike 96.9 when one day I woke up and 'Bob was Born'.

Shaun Pierce said...

It all depends on Paulsen. He is very talented and will have to carry the entire station. I don't know if one man can be THAT funny.

Mcintyre has already been tossed for several jobs so I doubt people are beating on the door demanding to hear him. Opie & Anthony are already on and have done nothing to speak of.

I don't give it much hope either. I used to work there and I know the folks running things. Like I said in the past, the VP could not program a VCR much less a radio station.