Santourm Speaks Out on US Seaports

In most cases Sen. Rick Santourm will be right in line with President Bush. Not in this case.
In a release from his campaign, Sen Santourm said this:


Each and every day, the security of Pennsylvania and our nation is at risk. Islamic extremists preyed on our country and our way of life in the barbaric terrorist attacks of 9/11, and we have spent the time since then fighting to ensure such attacks never happen again.

That's why I'm concerned any time it appears as if we're not taking the terrorist threat seriously enough. As I write you, the control of six major U.S. seaports -- including the Port of Philadelphia -- could be outsourced to the United Arab Emirates, a nation that was implicated in the events of 9/11.

How can we allow this to happen?

The answer is: We can't.

That's why, after learning of this troubling situation last week, I took immediate action to call for an investigation and a stop to this transfer of control of our ports:

Last Thursday, I requested that the President intervene and use his authority under the current law to prevent this sale; I have requested that the U.S. Senate investigate the matter to determine if and how the application of the law needs to reflect the realities of a post-9/11 world, and; I began discussions with a bipartisan group of Congressmen to determine what we could do if the administration doesn't rescind the contract.

I can not sit by while the safety and security we have fought so hard for is sacrificed, and right here in our state at the Port of Philadelphia. Please join me in fighting for the safety of these critical entry ports to our nation -- write letters to your local news editors, call talk radio, and please forward this message to everyone you know.





Senator Rick Santorum

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything you said, I think more people should write, call email and protest. We should not let this happen.