Christian conservatives pledge support for '08 Thompson bid

Several leading Christian conservatives say they will rally to former Sen. Fred Thompson, who they expect to announce "in a matter of weeks" that he will seek the Republican nomination for president next year.

"It's not 'if' but 'when,' he will announce," one Protestant evangelical leader says of the behind-the-scenes maneuvering for position in the 2008 race.

A prominent Roman Catholic social conservative says the three Republicans who have raised the most money and have led the polls -- former New York Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani, Arizona Sen. John McCain and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney -- fall short of social conservatives' expectations, but Mr. Thompson doesn't. "He's right on the issues ... He's better than all of the above."

Both the Protestant and Catholic activist, like other Christian conservatives, spoke to The Times on the condition of anonymity.

Note: NO it's not me. They said "prominent" and I'm far from that. To be honest I'm not thrilled with anyone so far and my early prediction is we may see President Obama.

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

1 comment:

John C. Hathaway said...

My father in law says of Thompson what he said of Reagan: "He knows how to act like a president."

What I like about Thompson is that, from what little I know him, he strikes me as more of a level-headed strict cosntructionist than a "Christian conservative." I know Dobson challenged his "Christian credentials" a while back. But in the 1840s and 50s, abolition was considered a "Christian issue," with the Democrats crying "theocracy" as they do today.

Lincoln was by most accounts an agnostic.