Peaks and Valleys

As we go though life we experience peaks and valleys. Some days are great, others we find ourselves down and without much strength to get back up. The funny thing is, when things are good we don't notice as much as when they are not.

No person is able to avoid periods of misfortune. It does not matter your age, wealth or ability to adjust. I don't mean to depress you, but there are some dark days in every life. The question is not when, but how we will face those days.

I turn to faith for strength and understanding. I'll be honest, sometimes it's not there. At other times it's the only thing that gets me through. Let's all be honest here. It's easy to say God is in control, but we never really want to give up the control we think we have. We are also not comfortable letting God do everything. God will use us to do his work but most of us want to have a say in what that work is.

Not all people have faith, or believe in God. They don't want to hear even the slightest mention of God in their most personal and tragic moments. That leaves me as a Christian paralyzed in my capacity to utter a word of comfort. When my source of comfort and strength and understanding is forbidden by another, I'm not sure how to proceed. I also am burdened with that thought that maybe I fail in my Christian duty to present to gospel to those who may need to hear the most.

How do you confront a person and talk about God when that person is on the doorway of death and does not wish to hear it. To push forward may create additional stress on that person in a weakened state. Do we set aside our faith for a person in their final moments of life for the sake of peace?

I know many of you are expecting some profound answers and amazing wisdom. I'm sorry to disappoint you. I find myself in the midst of some of those dark days. I know the peak is ahead. However, writing from the valley I've encountered many questions to which I do not yet posses answers. If you are living on a peak, be thankful and enjoy the view.

No comments: