Roberts No Answer Answers

"I feel the need to stay away from a discussion of specific cases"
"I think I should stay away from discussion of specific issues"
"I do feel compelled to point that I should not ... agree or disagree with particular decisions"
"That's something that I'm going to have to draw the line in the sand"
Senate Judiciary Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa., had wasted no time in grilling Roberts on one of the big issues of the day _ abortion _ and Roberts wasted no time in displaying his skills at the artful dodge.
"Would you think that Roe might be a super-duper precedent?" Specter probed, pointing to times it has been upheld by the Supreme Court.

Roberts did assure Specter that Roe "is settled as the precedent of the court." But he declined to be as explicit as Specter sought, signaling it could be a long day of questioning for senators seeking specifics. The 18 senators of the Judiciary Committee are allotted 30 minutes each to question the nominee for chief justice of the United States.

No comments: